We have just released an update for EasyDiscuss to iron out some of the issues encountered from the previous release and also made some changes to the styling behavior in EasyDiscuss 5.
Primary Colors 🌈
When our designers came up with the design for EasyDiscuss v5, their goal was to help simplify the experience of customizing EasyDiscuss. This is why all primary colors within the extensions inherit from a primary color defined in the css variables. Because of that, you get matching colors between the links generated in EasyDiscuss and your buttons.
However, it looks like there is a backlash because many of our customers prefer to have hyperlinks in EasyDiscuss inherit the colors from the template instead. This is why we decided to revert the changes in this release so that hyperlinks would now inherit their behaviors from your template. Should you need to tweak it, you may follow the documentation here.
One other major update in EasyDiscuss v5 was the new Server-Sent Events where it improves performance by only making a single poll request to the server. However, it seems like there is a drawback to this especially with cPanel configured web servers that use mod_fcgi where Server-Sent Events would fail.
This is why we decided to disable it by default in this release to avoid these sites from crashing when they upgrade to EasyDiscuss 5. You can always enable this in the settings if you are not using FastCGI.
In this release, we have implemented quite a number of fixes to address those issues reported from its prior release:
- 🆕 Compatibility with PHP 8
- 🆕 Copy post functionality is now added on the front-end
- 🆕 Added new global option for custom field so that the field will appear on all categories
- Fixed issue with missing menu icons on tablet devices
- Fixed issues with AMP pages
- Added cancel and discard link on the new post page
- Fixed issue with post type not appearing in the post filters listing
- Updated behavior of subcategories on mobile layout to use simple text links instead for better clarity
- User profile permalink will now respect the SEO settings configured in EasyDiscuss
- Reverted changes for rem sizes and only use fixed pixel sizes due to numerous template conflicts (specifically with Bootstrap 3)
- Fixed issue with e-mails not being rendered on Mac Mail client due to iframe being included in the e-mail contents
- Fixed issue with scrollbar not working correctly on post filters when listing an extremely long list of subcategories
- Removed legacy files that are no longer being used from the package
- Added missing response count for replies when viewer has no access to view replies
- Fixed issue with missing names when their nickname is removed from their profile
- Fixed an issue with all guest posts pointing to the same user due to the cache
- Assignment tab will no longer appear on the profile page when feature is disabled
- Fixed issue with moderator assignments when category is configured to inherit ACL permissions from the global ACL settings
- Fixed issue with category appearing twice in the module
- Fixed line-height styling issues to support 3rd party WYSIWYG editors
- Updated icon picker to FontAwesome 5.14
- Added fixes for 3rd party plugin replacement text messing around with the structured data generated by EasyDiscuss
- Fixed issue with missing navigation buttons on lightbox
- Fixed issue with comments not appearing in replies
- Checkout the changelog for the full changes
Updating to EasyDiscuss 5.0.3
Updating EasyDiscuss is a pretty straight-forward procedure. You can update EasyDiscuss using the single click updater in Joomla or the back-end of EasyDiscuss. Alternatively, you can also download the latest version from your dashboard and install it just like how you normally install any extension.
Our awesome support team is always around should you require any assistance at all.