By Anthony on Wednesday, 14 September 2022
Posted in General Issues
Likes 0
Views 308
Votes 0
Hello
I'm having an issue with the search results. (I don't know if it exists anywhere else and is general).
The language I use is Greek
The problem is the following.
On the local site, the search works perfectly (image 2)
When I upload it to the server, the link changes (image 1) and results in a 404 page.
I should note that I do indexing on the live server as well
Thanks
Hi Anthony,

I tried searching on the site and the link is showing fine(attached). Am I missing something here?
·
Wednesday, 14 September 2022 10:56
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Yes. the problem is when you choose the search result. I put 2 photos.
The search works great, and the filters.
The problem is in the red parentheses
·
Wednesday, 14 September 2022 17:03
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hey Anthony,

Do I just click the on the result? I tried that but the url is loading fine(video attached). Am I missing something here?
·
Wednesday, 14 September 2022 17:44
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
really curious.
I can not explain it. I tried it with another browser and it does exactly the same thing.
At the local level it works fine. I can't see it on mobile because the search has a problem with the layout.
I don't know how to make a video to show you
I also tried it with chrome with the same results
·
Wednesday, 14 September 2022 17:52
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hey Anthony,

May I know what operating system and device you are on? Which browsers have you tried?
Have you tried clearing the site and browser cache?

Would it be possible to try on another device(laptop/desktop)?
·
Wednesday, 14 September 2022 19:11
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
I have windows 10 with 3 browsers (firefox chrome and edge).
i tried it with all 3 and all 3 do the same thing.
of course I also cleaned the cookies.
On the mobile phone they couldn't do a test because there is a problem with the layout (image 1) This is another problem that I will open another ticket for.
The strange thing is that only the StackIdeas Toolbar does it and not the advanced search.
I searched a bit on the internet about the problem and it has to do with Greek and SEF url if that can help.
I read that many times a link that contains Greek characters (maybe other languages too) , when you publish it then it changes into unintelligible characters.

Specifically, subscribe to translation..
The Greek characters are translated into a sequence of unintelligible characters when we want to share a URL (for example on Facebook), In these cases we see something similar to this: https://digitalbang.gr/seo-%CE%B3%CE %B9%CE%B1-%CE%B1%CF%81%CF%87%CE%AC%CF%81%CE%B9%CE%BF%CF%85%CF%82/. To avoid this, we can use a URL shortener such as Bitly.

I did a test and uninstalled the Greek and it works fine.
Apparently the Greek creates the problem
·
Wednesday, 14 September 2022 19:33
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Thanks for the info Anthony.

Unfortunately I am still not able to reproduce the issue. Asked my colleague to try and the same there. Have you tried on another desktop/laptop?

Can you provide us ftp access as I would like to investigate the issue with the toolbar?
·
Thursday, 15 September 2022 17:25
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
good morning
Yes, I tried it on another computer and it had the same problem. I tried it in both firefox and EDGE browser.

The problem is clearly the Greek. As I said, if I take them out, everything is ok.
What I didn't try is to remove the Greek file from the toolbar.
For ftp, this is the first time I'm doing it and I hope it's right
·
Thursday, 15 September 2022 17:54
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hey Anthony,

Can you also try disabling all addons on the browser?
If the issue still occurs, try downloading monosnap and use that to record a video and share with us? Link: https://monosnap.com/download

By the way, I am able to reproduce the issue where the search input is not showing on toolbar in mobile view. Will log this in our tracker. This occurs when the toobar is not assigned to all pages and only selected pages.
·
Thursday, 15 September 2022 19:15
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
So for the mobile problem, the solution is to put the toolbar on all pages. Maybe it will be fixed in some upgrade?

Regarding the problem with Greek, all browsers except firefox are clean versions without add-ons.

Thanks for the program, I will make a video and upload it soon
·
Thursday, 15 September 2022 19:29
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
I made 2 videos with chrome and edge.
Both browsers are without addons
I accidentally discovered another problem related to Greek
I made a mistake with the code and it led me to a page with the same incomprehensible Greek.

Apparently they have something in common.
Also I don't know if it helps I read that this happens because the url is in hexadecimal ... I don't know what that means
A link that might help with the problem
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/51608718/greek-letters-as-parameters-in-url

is ftp ok?
·
Thursday, 15 September 2022 19:54
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hey Anthony,
So for the mobile problem, the solution is to put the toolbar on all pages. Maybe it will be fixed in some upgrade?
That is correct.

Have you try the site on a new pc or laptop? I am still unable to reproduce the issue on my side, which means this is probably not an issue with the site.

In my screenshot, you can see that when the login is incorrect, the system redirects the user to an encoded url. The browser then decodes it to show the greek characters in the address bar.

On the second screenshot, you can see the encoded/decoded version of σύνδεση. Notice that the encoded version contains %. However, in your video, the url that appears in the address bar has no % but slashes(/) only.

This means something is replacing the % into slashes. Once the % changes to slashes, the browser cannot decode the url because it's now invalid.

I'm not sure what is replacing the % to / on your side. That is why I ask you to try on a new desktop with nothing installed. No antivirus, antimalware, security softwares etc. Sometimes these security softwares can interfere with the browser behavior.
·
Monday, 19 September 2022 17:23
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Thank you for your help and your time.
Both the computers I used have Bitdefender which caused this problem.
I turned off online threat prevention and it worked fine.
When I opened it again without throwing an exception it still worked fine.
Then you can close this thread.
Thank you very much
·
Tuesday, 20 September 2022 09:13
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
You're most welcome Anthony. So the culprit is Bitdefender's online threat prevention, thanks for the info and glad to know you found the root cause.

Regards.
·
Tuesday, 20 September 2022 10:39
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
View Full Post