By David Boggitt on Tuesday, 03 December 2013
Posted in Technical Issues
Replies 5
Likes 0
Views 856
Votes 0
Hi,

I'm getting huge (100M+) core files being created on a Joomla 3.1.5 website. I've checked the error log and the only thing in it is:

[01-Dec-2013 14:48:20 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined method JDocumentRaw::setName() in /home/beyond/public_html/components/com_easyblog/views/entry/view.pdf.php on line 146

Could it be EasyBlog doing this?

Thanks,

Dave.
Hello David,

Hm, not too sure why would it generate a core file because core files are normally caused when there's a bug on a linux kernel / binaries. PHP errors shouldn't trigger this at all

As for the errors, can you please provide me with the back end and FTP access to the site to check on this?
·
Tuesday, 03 December 2013 10:13
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Ok, it's weird isn't it! This is what my host said:

"Thanks for your ticket. Unfortunately that's not something we'd be able to resolve for you (as there are no problems with our PHP instance on Falcon). A core dump file is created when one of your scripts causes PHP to crash in an unexpected way. You or your developer should fully review your script and ensure they are updated to the latest versions available in case you currently have any known bugs in your current scripts."

I have given you login details. Thanks for looking

Dave.

P.S. There is another core file in the root directory
·
Tuesday, 03 December 2013 14:40
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hello David,

If a PHP fatal error causes a .coredump file, they really need to re-think about how they setup their server. It's going to be hectic for them. I have applied some fixes in the PDF view and it shouldn't yield any errors anymore.

P/S: Maybe you should ask your hosting provider to think about disabling core dump files since it is not really helpful as we don't use gdb to debug. http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-disable-core-dumps/
·
Tuesday, 03 December 2013 16:12
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
The hosts were very unhelpful....
·
Thursday, 05 December 2013 06:26
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hello David,

Perhaps it should be time to move to a better host?
·
Thursday, 05 December 2013 10:09
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
View Full Post