By Chris Chase on Friday, 07 February 2014
Posted in Technical Issues
Replies 15
Likes 0
Views 601
Votes 0
Hello,

Our blogs on multiple accounts are posting to Facebook, but come up with a 500 error when doing so.

I checked and added the IP of our server pushing blogs out into the Facebook security settings, but no change.

I've attached credentials for FTP/cPanel, Facebook and the website back-end. . We need to know what changed, and how to apply this fix to all of our other accounts.

Thanks,
Justin
Hello Chris,

There's actually an update on Facebook's API which messes up with the auto posting to a Facebook page. I have applied the fixes on the site but I also encountered another issue on the site. For some reasons, Facebook is being very strict about the URL that is being shared. I noticed that when your URL is accessed, for instance http://www.mgcomputer.com/blog , it seems to be generated with the additional #hash at the end of the url, http://www.mgcomputer.com/blog#.UvUYD15jAZw . Do you know which plugin is adding these hash?

The hash seems to be causing Facebook to disallow the link from being posted on Facebook.
·
Saturday, 08 February 2014 01:31
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hello Mark,

Thanks for the update. Is this going to be patched in a version we can install soon? Is there any other steps besides updating the component?

For the hash issue, let me investigate. I'll get back to you shortly.

Thanks,
Justin
·
Saturday, 08 February 2014 01:49
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hello Chris,

We have actually just released 3.9.15245 which addresses this issue but your site still has issues because of the #hash in the URL. For some reason Facebook seems to dislike such redirects. What actually happens when the autopost is made:

1. We need to send the "link" to the blog post to Facebook
2. I am just speculating this as nobody knows what is going on behind the Facebook walls (I believe Facebook would actually crawl the URL to see if the site is a spam or probably prohibited in one of their algorithms to detect bad sites).
3. When their crawler crawls your site, it notices that there is a hash #somefunnycharacters being appended to the URL and disallow such postings.
·
Saturday, 08 February 2014 01:57
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hello Mark,

I'll get these sites updated to that version. Does this just need to be installed, and it will push fine?

I also resolved the hash issue, caused by an addthis plugin loading, which was hard coded into the template core files.

Can you test and verify everything is working properly?
·
Saturday, 08 February 2014 02:12
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hello,

I just got the 500 error still. And please remove test posts from Facebook if you leave them there.

Thanks
·
Saturday, 08 February 2014 02:22
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Okay, finally found the problem. It seems like Facebook is being extremely strict now as your urls need to also be validated at https://developers.facebook.com/tools/debug . It was having errors because the app_id in Social Integrations > Facebook wasn't set. I have set this for you and it works fine now
·
Saturday, 08 February 2014 03:11
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hello,

It seems this worked for this site.

Just for clarification, our procedure will need to be:

1. Update to Latest Version (3.9.15245)
2. Add App ID into settings --> Social Integrations --> Facebook Likes --> App ID
3. Renew Token (This step seems like it would be needed, or will this have no different effect?)

Thanks
·
Saturday, 08 February 2014 03:19
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Also, what are we going to do for our sites still running Joomla 1.5, using Easyblog?

We have been migrating sites rapidly, but we have many to go still. Is there anything you could do to assist in this temporarily?
·
Saturday, 08 February 2014 03:21
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hello Chris,

You may ignore step #3 as it is irrelevant. Only need step #1 and #2 Unfortunately, you will need to upgrade your Joomla site because there are quite a number of changes made on the Facebook auto posting library and we are no longer supporting Joomla 1.5
·
Saturday, 08 February 2014 03:37
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hello Mark,

This process already did not work on another site. I've updated, added the setting App ID properly and nothing happened.
·
Saturday, 08 February 2014 04:24
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hello Chris,

Odd, can you please provide me with the access to your other site and I will try it out?
·
Saturday, 08 February 2014 13:12
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hello Mark,

Credentials provided below. Please make sure to remove any test posts to Facebook.

Thanks,
Justin
·
Monday, 10 February 2014 10:59
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hello Chris,

I've fixed it for you. It seems like your token has expired. I've to create a new app because it is facebook known issue where the token expired date is set to today's date. Hope this helps.
·
Monday, 10 February 2014 11:43
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
It's working for other sites, and this particular one had a bug. We have this under control now.

Thanks,
Justin
·
Tuesday, 11 February 2014 04:56
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hello Chris,

You're welcome. If you have any issue, do refer back to us.
·
Tuesday, 11 February 2014 10:15
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
View Full Post